Re: bug: core dump in pl/perl (cvs head).

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>,pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bug: core dump in pl/perl (cvs head).
Date: 2005-07-30 12:40:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 10:46:35PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Has this been fixed?

> Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:
> > we have found a bug in CVS head using PL/Perl:
> >
> > [hs(at)hp hs]$ psql test < /tmp/core.sql
> > DROP FUNCTION
> > CREATE FUNCTION
> > NOTICE:  sql: SELECT 10, 10 FROM pg_locks WHERE transaction IS NOT NULL
> > AND pid = pg_backend_pid()
> > server closed the connection unexpectedly
> >          This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> >          before or while processing the request.
> > connection to server was lost

I don't think anybody was able to reproduce the problem, and
Hans-Jürgen said that it started working after he rebooted
the box:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2005-07/msg00062.php

There was reportedly no core dump and apparently the reboot destroyed
whatever conditions were causing the problem, so it might be difficult
to find out what was happening :-(

Hans-Jürgen, did this problem ever reappear?

Somebody else recently reported a backend crash when calling PL/Perl
in 8.0.3, but again we've been given no core dump info and thus far
nobody has been able to duplicate the problem:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2005-07/msg00181.php

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/