Re: More buildfarm stuff

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)FreeBSD(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, 'Andrew Dunstan' <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More buildfarm stuff
Date: 2005-07-30 01:41:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 10:17:05PM +0200, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> --On tisdag, juli 26, 2005 15.17.57 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> wrote:
>
> >Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org> writes:
> >
> >>how do we get libc_r into the mix on FreeBSD 4.11?
> >
> >A possible compromise is to add -lc_r to LIBS if (a) --enable-python
> >and (b) platform is one of those known to need it.
> >
> > regards, tom lane
>

> I think most people use the ports when using postgresql with FreeBSD.
>
> There are a bunch of ports, one for the server, another for plpython, yet
> another for plperl. Hence, if the ports are used, the server will be
> configured separately from the plpython.so, and the above suggestion will
> not do. OTH, the port for the server has a bunch of options (opted using
> dialog(1)), where one is:
>
> "Link w/ libc_r, used by plpython"
>
> It defaults to off, but it is pretty obvious that if you need plpython, you
> should check that option.
>
> If it is on, following happens:
>
> --
> .if ${OSVERSION} < 500016
> PTHREAD_CFLAGS?= -D_THREAD_SAFE
> PTHREAD_LIBS?= -pthread
> .elif ${OSVERSION} < 502102
> PTHREAD_CFLAGS?= -D_THREAD_SAFE
> PTHREAD_LIBS?= -lc_r
> .else
> PTHREAD_CFLAGS?=
> PTHREAD_LIBS?= -pthread
> .endif
> --

That works for /usr/ports/databases/postgresql*, but IMHO it'd be nice
if the PostgreSQL source just dealt with this...

> BTW, I do have 4.11 boxes running SMP, shall I run another test, on SMP?
> Tip-of-trunk with --enable-python?
>
> /Palle

My buildfarm machine
(http://pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=octopus&br=HEAD) is
SMP, so if anything we need UP testing.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org