Re: Write past chunk end?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Write past chunk end?
Date: 2005-07-28 18:13:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 07:51:02PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I'm testing out the latest version of Palles ICU patch on win32, and I
> got the build syste mworking. But it no longer works when built - it
> used to...
>
> When initdb:ing with this version and -E UNICODE, I get:
> WARNING: detected write past chunk end in Analyze Column 01472ED0

Search for a AllocSetContextCreate whose name is "Analyze Column";
somebody is writing more memory than allocated.

> Any ideas on how to debug this?

The problem is that it's detected in MemoryContextCheck, long after the
clobber occured. You could set a watchpoint in gdb, I think.

"Investigación es lo que hago cuando no sé lo que estoy haciendo"
(Wernher von Braun)