Re: Integrated autovacuum

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Martín Marqués <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Integrated autovacuum
Date: 2005-07-27 21:23:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 06:05:26PM -0300, Martín Marqués wrote:
> El Mié 27 Jul 2005 17:24, Alvaro Herrera escribió:
> > On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 12:53:40PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> > > Just for clarification, will the new integrated autovacuum require that
> > > statistics are on?
> >
> > Yes. Row-level stats too.
>
> Will there be a way to ballance the amount of stats the autovacuum gets?
> Something like the analyze parameters that the contrib version has, but
> integrated in postgresql.conf?

I'm not sure I understand your question. If it means what I think, then
yes, you can set the threshold and scale values per table.

> I had a select on my development server that took several minutes to complete,
> and after running manually analyze on the tables involved the time reduced
> dramatically.

I think everybody mostly agreed that contrib's pg_autovacuum default
values were too conservative.

"Las cosas son buenas o malas segun las hace nuestra opinión" (Lisias)