Re: [Testperf-general] dbt2 & opteron performance

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: testperf-general(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Cc: Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Testperf-general] dbt2 & opteron performance
Date: 2005-07-28 02:32:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark,

> I'm starting to get results with dbt2 on a 4-way opteron system and
> wanted to share what I've got so far since people have told me in the
> past that this architecture is more interesting than the itanium2 that
> I've been using.
>
> This 4-way has 8GB of memory and four Adaptec 2200s controllers attached
> to 80 spindles (eight 10-disk arrays). For those familiar with the
> schema, here is a visual of the disk layout:
> http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/dev4-015/layout-6.html
>
> Results for a 600 warehouse run are there:
> http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/dev4-015/6/
>
> The tuning is a still a bit off, but feel free to let me know if there
> are any issues anyway.

This e-mail came in while I was away. I, of course, am very interested in
running tests on this machine. Which version of PostgreSQL is this? What
configuration are you doing? I would expect that we could get at least 7000
on this platform; let me try to tweak it.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions