Re: Integrated autovacuum

From: Martín Marqués <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org,"Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Integrated autovacuum
Date: 2005-07-27 21:35:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers
El Mié 27 Jul 2005 18:23, Alvaro Herrera escribió:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 06:05:26PM -0300, Martín Marqués wrote:
> >
> > Will there be a way to ballance the amount of stats the autovacuum gets?
> > Something like the analyze parameters that the contrib version has, but
> > integrated in postgresql.conf?
>
> I'm not sure I understand your question.  If it means what I think, then
> yes, you can set the threshold and scale values per table.

Yes, that's what I was asking. Will those values be in flat files or in the
cataloge?[1] For what I see, it looks like flat files (presumably
postgresql.conf)

> > I had a select on my development server that took several minutes to
complete,
> > and after running manually analyze on the tables involved the time reduced
> > dramatically.
>
> I think everybody mostly agreed that contrib's pg_autovacuum default
> values were too conservative.

Yes, I noticed that. Anyway, the main aplicacion on which we are working has 2
main data alterations.

1) Mass data update (INSERTs and UPDATEs) on 3 o 4 tables. This doesn't happen
very frecuently, so I'm thinking about adding an ANALYZE at the end of the
transaction.
2) Constant data updates and inserts, still at a low rate, on one table. This
could get analyzed every night with the Backup.

The other tables have so little amount of data, and doesn't get updated that
usual, so there's nothing to bother about.

[1]: Yes I know Alvaro, I should be testing 8.1beta, but thank God I have
8.0.3 now. ;-)

--
 18:23:45 up 25 days,  3:09,  1 user,  load average: 1.12, 1.01, 1.19
Lic. Martín Marqués   | SELECT 'mmarques' ||