Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>, Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-07-27 17:36:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 07:21:57AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 20:59:11 -0700,
> Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org> wrote:
> >
> > Also, I think what's more important to MySQL than pretty much anything
> > else is that slashdot uses MySQL and everyone knows it. If somehow
>
> I thought that was good promotion for databases other than MySQL.
> Slashcode is not known as being a great piece of code. I see errors
> returned occasionally (probably less than 1 / 1000 page loads) and
> I see complaints that it does not generate standard html, but I haven't
> personally looked at what a standards checker says about its output.

I think the most informative thing that could be done with sites like
this (livejournal is another one that comes to mind) would be to show
the difference obtained by migrating to PostgreSQL, both in terms of
improved performance and code simplification. I know LJ has a lot of
extra (ugly) code meant specifically for scaling, because they have to
run something like 30 database servers to try and meet demand.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org