Re: regression failure on latest CVS

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr, Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,"'pgsql-hackers list'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: regression failure on latest CVS
Date: 2005-07-27 13:52:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr wrote:
>
> >In the meantime would'nt it be nice to try to understand what happens and
> >correct it?
> >
> >I'm a bit afraid that 8.1 is not used on unixware because people don't
> >have/want the patch installed.
> >

> All the evidence is that this is a compiler bug. The apparent workaround
> for now would be to compile with optimisation turned off. Or use another
> compiler - gcc is available isn't it?

The SCO compiler was a buggy mess with any optimization turned on 10
years ago, and it still is.  I see no reason our community should waste
time helping fix such a buggy compiler.  If it was buggy for the past 10
years, I think it will be buggy for the next 10 too.  We should just
turn off optimization for that compiler.