Re: RESULT_OID Bug

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Kevin McArthur <postgresql-list(at)stormtide(dot)ca>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RESULT_OID Bug
Date: 2005-07-27 13:36:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 12:19:51AM -0700, Kevin McArthur wrote:
> This error has come up in the last week or so, and my suspicion remains
> that its caused by something to do with roles but that could be way wrong.
>
> The FreeBSD machines were confirmed to work as of about a week ago ( i
> reinstalled for a timezone patch and I'm pretty sure it was working then )

Have you tried using CVS to check out and test older code?  I'll
do that myself when I get a chance.  If the developers can't reproduce
the problem, then at least maybe we can narrow down which commit
is responsible so they'll have something to look at.

> I can note that the \set for lastoid is properly updated when I insert into
> a table. Thus the problem has to be somewhere between plpgsql and that data
> via the get diagnostics interface (under the assumption that the lastoid
> structure is consistent for all inserts and psql having lastoid working at
> all eliminates that part of the equation).

So far the problem does seem to be specific to whatever PL/pgSQL's
is doing, and it affects ROW_COUNT as well as RESULT_OID.  I haven't
been able to reproduce the problem with PL/Tcl or with C and SPI.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/