Re: unusual ResultSet.next() behaviour

From: Jan de Visser <jdevisser(at)digitalfairway(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unusual ResultSet.next() behaviour
Date: 2005-07-27 14:46:06
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

First off, you need a different e-mail client. The one you're using makes a
royal mess of MIME messages. Please stop using it (at least don't use it to
send to this list :)

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 01:00, Les Carter wrote:
> Consider the following code snippet where rs is a ResultSet object obtained
> from a previous query:
>
>     for(int count=0; count!=someValue; count++)
>     {
>         if(!rs.next()) throw SomeException();
>     }
>     rs.next();
>
> Pretty simple, just cycle through someValue number of records and then get
> the next record after that.  For some reason, say if the query has 20 rows
> that will be returned, and I set someValue to be 5 for arguments sake, it
> will go through the for loop with no problems, but when it comes out of the
> for loop and tries to the next rs.next() operation it always returns
> false.  I can increase someValue to 10 and it will still loop without a
> problem, but it will always return false for that rs.next() operation
> following the for loop.
>
> I can't see any rational reason for this.  I'm using PostgreSQL 8.0 and the
> JDBC 3 drivers on Win XP with JDK 1.42_06.  The ResultS! et is a proxy
> object gained from a JBoss4.0 supplied connection pool.
>
> Can anyone offer any explanation, or repeat the simple steps to confirm I'm
> not loosing my sanity?

Works for me. I don't see what you're experiencing; my next() after the loop
returns true.

> Cheers,

JdV!!

Jan de Visser                     jdevisser(at)digitalfairway(dot)com

                Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!