BUG #1789: Error starting up server

From: "Chris Saringolis" <chris(at)apacsystems(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1789: Error starting up server
Date: 2005-07-27 06:36:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      1789
Logged by:          Chris Saringolis
Email address:      chris(at)apacsystems(dot)com(dot)au
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.3
Operating system:   Red Hat Linux 9.0
Details:

I have downloaded Postgresql 8.0.3 from the Australian mirror site, and am
following the online documentation for installation.

I get to the pointof initialising the database via initdb -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data

I then try starting up postmaster in the background as per the
documentation:

Postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >>serverlog 2>&1 &

Postmaster cannot start up and I get the following error in the serverlog
file:

"The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL 7.3 which is not
compatible with this version 8.0.3"

This is a fresh install including the Linux OS. Why am I getting this error
and could it be the download has some old version components??

Regards,

Chris

pgsql-bugs by date