Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Mitch Pirtle <mitch(dot)pirtle(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-07-23 16:55:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 10:04:42PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> In all, I think you would be amazed at how aggressive PostgreSQL is on
> the business side, we (the community) just do it differently than a lot
> of traditional companies.
> We have a lot of word of mouth, a lot of the consultants and companies
> look out for each other, warning of potential bad customers etc... We
> also cooperate to publicize PostgreSQL as a whole.
> We don't in general run a lot of press, but then again we typically
> don't have to.

One problem with that is: where do people go when they want to find out
about PostgreSQL and MySQL? To the websites. Currently, MySQL has 1/4 of
their front page dedicated to "Discover how Global 2000 companies are
cutting their database costs by 90%". And "Over six million
installations use MySQL to power high-volume Web sites and other
critical business systems  including industry-leaders like The
Associated Press, Yahoo, NASA, Sabre Holdings and Suzuki." Our site has
nothing like that.

If you dig into the websites, it just gets worse. "Cox Communications powers massive data
warehouse with MySQL." The custormer's page lists over 100 entries. Case
studies, white papers, etc.

Of course it's easy for a commercial company to hire a full-time MarCom
person (or team), but given the number of commercial companies
supporting PostgreSQL we should be able to do just as good a job at
messaging, if not better. Heck, I bet even the 'small' companies
supporting PostgreSQL together are larger than MySQL AB, let alone
companies like Fujitsu.
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant               decibel(at)decibel(dot)org
Give your computer some brain candy! Team #1828