Re: Java's set of timezone names

From: Vadim Nasardinov <vadimn(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Java's set of timezone names
Date: 2005-07-20 23:02:41
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 18:33, Tom Lane wrote:
> That's because the underlying implementation was completely
> revamped. We now have our own timezone code and timezone database
> (the latter being the zic database) to avoid depending on the OS
> facilities.

If 8.0 comes with its own copy of a recent zic database, then, in
theory, it should be able to handle any timezone known to Java. (The
opposite is not necessarily true, as Java's timezone info seems to be
missing a lot of recent changes.) Does that sound like a correct
statement to you or did I forget some important qualifiers?