Re: C set return function differences on 8.0?

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Tim Jackson <tim(dot)jackson(at)ints(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: C set return function differences on 8.0?
Date: 2005-07-09 01:58:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
[Please copy the mailing list on replies so others can contribute
to and learn from the discussion.]

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 05:12:58PM -0700, Tim Jackson wrote:
> Michael Fuhr wrote:
> > What do you mean by "abort" -- does the backend crash?  If so, and
> > if you get a core dump, then it might be useful to see a stack trace.
> >
> The backend crashes, in pgadmin  attempting to display the view simple
> says aborting.  There is no core dump, and the log only seems to reflect
> the standard
> WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process

Where did you look for a core dump?  If one was made then it'll
probably be somewhere under $PGDATA (e.g., $PGDATA/base/XXX/core)
unless your system is configured to put core dumps elsewhere.

If there isn't a core dump then you could add some debugging ereport()
calls to your code so you can find out where the crash is happening.
Another possibility might be to attach a debugger to the backend.

> >Could you post a simple, self-contained test case that works in 7.4
> >and fails in 8.0?  That is, all SQL, C code, and data that somebody
> >
> The problem I have is we are using a licensed library to accesss the
> target database.  We have c code which parses SQLSRF and makes a call to
> these 3rd party lib functions which returns strings of data.

So your C function calls these library functions, which query some
other data source and return strings back to you, right?  How are
these strings returned -- as char * values?  Can you at least post
your code?

> Today we tried to just hard code some data strings and pass that into
> SRF part of the code.  We put in values that we expected to cause the
> problem and it did not cause the problem.  So we are stuck with how to
> proceed.

Let's see if attaching a debugger to the backend or adding some
ereport() calls can at least tell us where the crash is happening.
Then maybe we can figure out why.

Michael Fuhr