Re: Insert performance vs Table size

From: 李江华 <ljh1469(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>
To: "Praveen Raja" <praveen(dot)raja(at)netlight(dot)se>, "pgsql-performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Insert performance vs Table size
Date: 2005-06-27 11:30:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

Praveen Raja:

I think the size of a table don't affect the speed of inserts into it.Because PostgreSQL just doing something like "append" on the data files.
But the index do speed-down the inserts. Because PostgreSQL should maintain the index when doing inserts.

hope this is useful for your question.

======= 2005-06-27 19:24:06 you wrote:=======

>Hi all
>
>I'm wondering if and how the size of a table affects speed of inserts
>into it? What if the table has indexes, does that alter the answer?
>
>Thanks

>TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org

       Best regards!

李江华
Seamus Dean
Alibaba.com