How to move a DB from one server to another...

From: "Federico Simonetti (Etheye)" <flame(at)etheye(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to move a DB from one server to another...
Date: 2005-06-22 22:17:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Hello,

this seems strangely to be an extremely complex task. I've tried all kinds
of backup/restore (compressed, tared, plain) with all possible options and
combination of options. I cannot seem to be able to backup a PostgreSQL
satabase on my server and restore it on another server. I always get errors
during the restore procedure.

I've even tried to zip the entire database folder, but no luck. I'm stuck
with this problem. Why is it so difficult to move a database from one server
to another? Many other RDBMS just let you copy the database file (or dir) to
the new machine and import it.

Please help, this feature is extremely important for my development.

Thank you in advance,
bye.

Federico Simonetti
Etheye