moving database to diff. server

From: Paul Keyes <paul_s_keyes(at)yahoo(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: moving database to diff. server
Date: 2005-06-22 20:02:24
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi All,

I'm confused about one aspect of backing up and moving
a database to a different server.
I've used pg_dump to dump the database and moved he
resulting file to the new server, where Postgresql is
istalled and configured (as far as I know).
But I know that before I run psql on the backup I have
to create the database with something like (createdb
-T template0 dbname).  How do I make that template0?
I assume I've got to make it from the old
server/existing database but am unclear about how.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul