Re: Limit clause not using index

From: Tobias Brox <tobias(at)nordicbet(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tobias Brox <tobias(at)nordicbet(dot)com>, John A Meinel <john(at)arbash-meinel(dot)com>, Yves Vindevogel <yves(dot)vindevogel(at)implements(dot)be>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Limit clause not using index
Date: 2005-06-22 03:54:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

[Tom Lane - Tue at 05:20:07PM -0400]

> Certainly. Bear in mind though that DROP INDEX will acquire exclusive
> lock on the index's table, so until you roll back, no other transaction
> will be able to touch the table at all. So the whole thing may be a
> nonstarter in a production database anyway :-(.

That's what I was afraid of. I was running psql at the production DB
without starting a transaction (bad habit, I know) and tried to drop an
index there, but I had to cancel the transaction, it took forever and
in the same time blocking all the revenue-generating activity.

--
Tobias Brox, +86-13521622905
Nordicbet, IT dept