Binary Format of Timestamp

From: Joe Joe <fondwey(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Binary Format of Timestamp
Date: 2005-06-21 13:28:05
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi all,

I have a timestamp in a database that is beeing
returned in pgAdmin as "2005-06-21 11:21:47", exactly
as entered. When i retrieve the field via PQgetvalue i
get 8 bytes worth of data that i can not interpret.
ColumnType is TIMESTAMPOID, and the field content is
binary, size is 8 bytes, also all as expected.
I expect the timestamp format to be a float8 type
containing the seconds elapsed sind the 1.1.2000. This
should roughly be something around 172668107, give and
take a few timezone adjustments. What i get back from
PQgetvalue is the following array of bytes:

0: 0x00
1: 0x00
2: 0x9d
3: 0x0a
4: 0x6d
5: 0x2e
6: 0x88
7: 0xc0

Handling these bytes like a double (i.e adjusting them
for network byteorder), returns a value of
8.530937980114e-310#DEN.
But no matter how i order these bytes, i cannot make
sense of them.

Platform is Win32, Postgres was installed from binary
distribution. Does anyone have a hint ?

Many thanks in advance,

Joe

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: operationsengineer1Date: 2005-06-21 18:11:01