Re: users, address record restrictions

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Teunis Peters <teunis(at)wintersgift(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: users, address record restrictions
Date: 2005-06-20 23:22:09
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:51:11AM -0700, Teunis Peters wrote:

> I've got an interesting problem - this MIGHT (probably) isn't the right
> forum for this.

pgsql-general is usually a good place if you're not sure where a
question belongs. This doesn't sound much like an interfaces
problem.

> however - I'd like to restrict access to specific records and groups of
> records (based on another table) - and I'm not even sure where to start
> looking.

By "access" do you mean SELECT only, or also INSERT, UPDATE, and/or
DELETE? One possibility might be to use a view with a WHERE clause
that does the restriction. You'd revoke all privileges from the
underlying tables and grant whatever privileges people need on the
view, possibly adding rules to rewrite INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE
operations.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/