Re: FATAL: invalid value for parameter "wal_sync_method":

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Francesco Dalla Ca'" <f(dot)dallaca(at)cineca(dot)it>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FATAL: invalid value for parameter "wal_sync_method":
Date: 2005-06-17 13:21:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

Francesco Dalla Ca' wrote:
> This mean that method isn't supported by postgres on my platform?
> Must i give some extra options at build time?
> (i use postgresql 8.0.2 sources)
>
> The test "syncbench" that i run on this server with the "open(O_DSYNC)"
> method, give me results without problems.

Here is our test code for 8.0.2:

#if defined(O_SYNC)
#define OPEN_SYNC_FLAG O_SYNC
#else
#if defined(O_FSYNC)
#define OPEN_SYNC_FLAG O_FSYNC
#endif
#endif

#if defined(O_DSYNC)
#if defined(OPEN_SYNC_FLAG)
#if O_DSYNC != OPEN_SYNC_FLAG
#define OPEN_DATASYNC_FLAG O_DSYNC
#endif
#else /* !defined(OPEN_SYNC_FLAG) */
/* Win32 only has O_DSYNC */
#define OPEN_DATASYNC_FLAG O_DSYNC
#endif
#endif

Is your O_DSYNC the same #define value as O_SYNC or if that isn't
defined, O_FSYNC? If so, you don't really have O_DSYNC as unique from
O_SYNC, and we will not support "open_datasync".

Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us