Re: Connecting via localhost pg-8.0.3

From: David <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connecting via localhost pg-8.0.3
Date: 2005-06-16 20:22:58
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:08:35AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> David <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com> writes:
> > Well, you guessed correctly.  It was a configuration problem.  By
> > inserting the line:
> >         unix_socket_directory = '/var/run/postgresql'
> > into postgresql.conf, it works as expected.
>
> Well, you've still got an issue here somewhere, because if your server
> and client libraries came from the same build then they ought to agree
> on this without any help from the config file.  AFAIK, Debian hasn't
> changed their policy about where to put the socket, so it seems like you
> must be using a server that didn't come from Debian.

dlb(at)localhost:~$ apt-cache policy postgresql-8.0
postgresql-8.0:
  Installed: 8.0.3-5
  Candidate: 8.0.3-5
  Version Table:
 *** 8.0.3-5 0
         90 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org sid/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

There is a bug report at bugs.debian.org/postgresql-8.0 (also in the new
postgresql-common package) relating to the location of the socket.  I'd
seen this report before posting my original message, but things didn't
click until I read your reply.  Anyway, there was a suggestion by
someone that unix_socket_directory needed to be specified.

I do not know now where where the Debian 7.4 socket was located, as I
had no need to look into that.

From some of the info that came with the package, the structure of the
postgresql packaging system has been changed quite a bit.