Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website.

From: "Gevik Babakhani" <gevik(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "'Dave Page'" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "'Robert Treat'" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website.
Date: 2005-06-08 08:41:18
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi,

> I agree with others by the way - a PGDN concentrating on the server
> internals itself would be of limited interest, and probably wouldn't be
> used that much and therefore quickly fall into disuse. I think a more
> useful task would be to redevelop techdocs - using your MSDN-like
> interface you could easily accommodate both tasks I believe, and the
> techdocs stuff definitely *will* get used.

Of course, the interface could easily accommodate both tasks, it could also
be searchable and we could add different points of interest in categories
inside the tree. So this I think indeed would work. :)

> If you're willing to go in this direction, then we can look at providing
> resourses to host the new site provided everyone is happy with protoypes
> etc.

I would very much like to do that. I think this would be of a great benefit
to all of us. Please let me know how to go further from here.

Regards,
Gevik

> Building the site in PHP is also okay. Do you know when this
> is going to de
> discussed in the pg team regarding the future of my proposal?

It is being discussed (by us, now :-) ) - all discussion is open and
on-list (well, excect your original message to webmaster which only a
couple of us will have seen).

I agree with others by the way - a PGDN concentrating on the server
internals itself would be of limited interest, and probably wouldn't be
used that much and therefore quickly fall into disuse. I think a more
useful task would be to redevelop techdocs - using your MSDN-like
interface you could easily accommodate both tasks I believe, and the
techdocs stuff definitely *will* get used.

If you're willing to go in this direction, then we can look at providing
resourses to host the new site provided everyone is happy with protoypes
etc.

Regards, Dave.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster