Re: PostgreSQL vs. InnoDB performance

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs. InnoDB performance
Date: 2005-06-03 00:05:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 12:36:29AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On a particular system, loading 1 million rows (100 bytes, nothing
> fancy) into PostgreSQL one transaction at a time takes about 90
> minutes. Doing the same in MySQL/InnoDB takes about 3 minutes.
> InnoDB is supposed to have a similar level of functionality as far
> as the storage manager is concerned, so I'm puzzled about how this
> can be. Does anyone know whether InnoDB is taking some kind of
> questionable shortcuts it doesn't tell me about? The client
> interface is DBI. This particular test is supposed to simulate a
> lot of transactions happening in a short time, so turning off
> autocommit is not relevant.

This doesn't sound like a very good test. Have they tried the OSDL
stuff and/or Jan Wieck's PHP-TPCW?

http://www.osdl.org/lab_activities/kernel_testing/osdl_database_test_suite/
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/tpc-w-php/

> As you might imagine, it's hard to argue when the customer sees
> these kinds of numbers. So I'd take any FUD I can send back at
> them. :)

HTH :)

Cheers,
David Fetter david(at)fetter(dot)org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100 mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!