Re: NOLOGGING option, or ?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alon Goldshuv <agoldshuv(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NOLOGGING option, or ?
Date: 2005-06-01 21:56:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Alon Goldshuv wrote:
> 9) allow for Simon's WAL bypass.
>
> I have surely missed some problems that hide behind the idea, but these
> points make me believe that LOAD DATA is a good idea.

The community is unlikely to add a new LOAD DATA command that does
_almost_ everything COPY does.  We are much more likely to incrementally
improve COPY.

The problem with a new command is that it becomes unclear when you
should use COPY and when LOAD DATA, and it confuses users, and has
maintenance overhead.  If Bizgres wants a new command name, go for it,
but it is unlikely that the community release is going to go in that
direction, unless there is a fundamental agreement that COPY is broken
and needs a major revamp, and I have heard no talk of that.