Re: Google's Summer of Code ...

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jharris(at)tvi(dot)edu>,"Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, members(at)pgfound(dot)org
Subject: Re: Google's Summer of Code ...
Date: 2005-06-01 21:45:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Robert Treat wrote:

> Funny how things come full circle...  in previous threads someone mentioned a
> few low hanging fruit items, we should start there, and maybe get one of the
> more hard-core hackers to go through the TODO list and mark up some other
> items.
>
> My take on the mentor thing was that the students could probably post on
> -hackers if they ran into anything too tricky, though they'll need a poc
> for scheduling and timelines and getting them up to speed on development
> environment and such.
>
> Incidentally I havent seen any objections, if there are none should we
> go ahead and whip up an email to google?  Do we want to run this through
> the foundation? ISTM we would, though I don't know the full extent of
> what ramifications that would have.

No, the Foundation wasn't formed for this purpose, and doing something
like this through there would end up taking longer then the deadline to
pass through even if it was ...

As for the mentoring program ... my read on it is that the developer has
to make a proposal for what they wish to accomplish, that proposal goes to
the mentoring organization who then approves or rejects the proposal ...
the proposal, again, from my take, can't be simply tackling a few random
issues, but is more meant to deal with large projects that would take
someone full time to get done ... ie. the GiST rewrite or something of
similar scale ...

----