O_DIRECT for WAL writes

From: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: O_DIRECT for WAL writes
Date: 2005-05-26 08:04:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

This patch ticks off the following TODO items:
Consider use of open/fcntl(O_DIRECT) to minimize OS caching, especially for WAL writes.

The patch adds a new choice "open_direct" to wal_sync_method.
It uses O_DIRECT flags for WAL writes, like O_SYNC.

I had sent a patch looked like this before
(http://candle.pha.pa.us/mhonarc/patches2/msg00131.html)
but I found it is not always needed to write multiple pages in one write()
because most disks have writeback-cache. So, I left only O_DIRECT routines
in the patch and it impacts a present source code less.

---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Cyber Space Laboratories

Attachment Content-Type Size
xlog.diff application/octet-stream 3.6 KB