Re: Select performance vs. mssql

From: mark durrant <markd89(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Select performance vs. mssql
Date: 2005-05-24 19:13:27
Lists: pgsql-performance
I'm far from an expert, so this may be off-base... but
perhaps a suggestion would be to allow a hint to be
sent to the optimizer if the user doesn't care that
the result is "approximate" maybe then this wouldn't
require adding more overhead to the indexes.

MSSQL has something like this with (nolock)
i.e. select count(*) from customers (nolock) where
name like 'Mark%'

Regardless, I'm very impressed with PostgreSQL and I
think we're moving ahead with it.

Mark