Re: postgres file

From: Aarni Ruuhimäki <aarni(at)kymi(dot)com>
To: Ramon Orticio <rporticio(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres file
Date: 2005-05-23 06:35:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

With Pg you do not move a db file or files, but a dump file that has the data
in it.

You need to set up a Pg-system on the other machine, take a db dump on machine
1, move that file to the other machine and read it in.

E.g. / guide lines:

Machine1#pg_dump -c yourdb > yourdb_dumpfile

Machine2#createdb yourdb
Machine2#psql yourdb < yourdb_dumpfile

This moves one database.

To move all databases use pg_dumpall:

Machine1#pg_dumpall -c > all_dumpfile

Machine2#psql < all_dumpfile

On Monday 23 May 2005 04:37, you wrote:
> hello!
> postgresql database files is quite complicated for me.
> how can one transfer a postgressl database file from
> one computer to another. in access dbms, this can be
> easily done by locating the filename with extension
> .mdb. how does one do it in postgresql.
> thanks for any help
> mon.
> Yahoo! Mail