Re: BUG #1672: Postgres 8.0 doesn't return errors.

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Gregory L Miller-Kramer <millerg(at)contexttech(dot)com>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1672: Postgres 8.0 doesn't return errors.
Date: 2005-05-18 14:01:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 09:11:00AM -0400, Gregory L Miller-Kramer wrote:

> I entered the statement you wanted. (show client_min_messages;) It
> returned...
> client_min_messages
> ---------------------
> log
> (1 row)
>
> I did try what you mentioned (set client_min_messages to notice;) and it
> didn't work.

Hmmm...is it possible that psql's stderr is redirected? That's
another way I can duplicate what you're seeing:

$ psql test 2> /dev/null
test=> SELECT misspelled_excol FROM extable;
test=>

$ psql test
test=> SELECT misspelled_excol FROM extable;
ERROR: column "misspelled_excol" does not exist
test=>

If psql's stderr isn't explicitly redirected then psql would inherit
the shell's stderr, which might be redirected. What shell are you
using? If it's a Bourne-like shell, what output do you get from
the following?

echo test1
echo test2 >&2

Does your system have lsof or some other utility that shows a
process's file descriptors? If so, what does that utility show
for a running psql that's experiencing the problem?

Do you get output from non-error queries?

If none of this reveals the problem, then it might be useful to see
the output of "\set" and "show all" in psql.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/