Re: Access 2000 bitching... "The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add"

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Peter Bense <Ptbense(at)gwm(dot)sc(dot)edu>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Access 2000 bitching... "The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add"
Date: 2005-05-16 20:47:54
Lists: pgsql-odbc
--- Peter Bense <Ptbense(at)gwm(dot)sc(dot)edu> wrote:
> I am getting a
>
> "The field is too small to accept the amount of data
> you attempted to
> add" postgresql error when attempting to enter data
> into the following
> linked table in MS-Access.  Nothing seems to be out
> of range.  Any
> ideas?:

I assume you are using check boxes?  This has been a
frequently encountered problem for Access users.

I adopted a specific workaround a while ago, then
forgot about the problem.  But before I recommend that
workaround, let's make sure that time has not revealed
a better way.  What are your driver settings for
"bools as char" and "true is -1"?

> CREATE TABLE tblpis_survey_receipt (
>     insertion SERIAL,
>     ppt_id INT4 NOT NULL,
>     date_received DATE NOT NULL,
>     staff_id INT4 NOT NULL,
>     survey_type INT2 NOT NULL,
>     is_blank BOOL NOT NULL,
>     birth_month INT2,
>     birth_year INT2,
>     check_ppt BOOL NOT NULL,
>     check_dob BOOL NOT NULL,
>     check_tracking BOOL NOT NULL,
>     date_inserted TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE NOT
> NULL,
>     date_modified TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE NOT
> NULL,
>     PRIMARY KEY (insertion)
> );
>

> Peter T. Bense - Teradata Certified Professional
> (ptbense(at)gwm(dot)sc(dot)edu) - 803-777-9476
> Database Administrator/Webmaster
> Prevention Research Center
> University of South Carolina

> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the
> unregister command
> majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org)

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Fernando Gonzlez V.Date: 2005-05-16 21:28:33