BUG #1672: Postgres 8.0 doesn't return errors.

From: "Gregory L Miller-Kramer" <millerg(at)contexttech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1672: Postgres 8.0 doesn't return errors.
Date: 2005-05-16 13:16:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1672
Logged by: Gregory L Miller-Kramer
Email address: millerg(at)contexttech(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.2
Operating system: CentOS 4.0
Details:

To Whom it may concern:
Postgres8 does not return errors for some reason. If you look at the errors
generated on dev or purposely cause an error in psql you will see what I
mean. All errors are being dumped to /opt/pgsql/pgstartup.log. I'm thinking
maybe this is a config option when postgres is built? Or maybe a bug in
Postgres8?

I had originally thought this was fixed by removing the ">> $PGLOG" from the
the postgres startup script and restarting postgres. However, all that did
was dump errors to STDOUT rather than the log file, so it looked to me like
the problem was fixed. However, after I logged out of pgsql, I saw that I
was still getting errors on the console from other people and the apps, etc.
And when I closed my shell, all errors were lost, so I had to put the change
back so that we could at least find the errors in pgstartup.log if we need
them.

When we used 7.4.2 we did not have this issue. The errors would disply in
psql as well as in the web page. We are using Apache, mod_perl, and
apache::ASP...

Thank you,
Greg Miller-Kramer