Re: DB replicators comparison; (vs. DB upgrade via pg_dump)

From: <ogjunk-pgjedan(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DB replicators comparison; (vs. DB upgrade via pg_dump)
Date: 2005-05-16 04:40:48
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello,

Thanks for the explanation :)  I thought there was some technical
limitation when dump/reload is used, and I just wasn't seeing it after
my dump/reload successfully got me from 7.3.4 to 8.0.3.

Still, DB replication sounds very useful, so I'd still be interested in
Slony-I, Daffodil, and Mammoth comparison, if anyone has used more than
one of them.

Thanks,
Otis

--- Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> wrote:
> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, ogjunk-pgjedan(at)yahoo(dot)com
> wrote:
> > I am about to upgrade from 7.3.4 to 8.0.3, and I read that using a
> DB
> > replication tool is a good way to go about it.
>
> Replication is useful for this purpose if it helps you cut down on
> the
> time the transition takes.
>
> If the database is relatively small, and it only takes a few minutes
> to load the data in, then it's far simpler to do a dump/reload.
>
> But if you discover that the dump/reload takes 4 hours, and you're
> only permitted 20 minutes of downtime, the complexities of
> replication
> may get forced on you...
> --
> output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
> http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html
> Sheridan:"So how did you find out all of this?"
> Bester:"I'm a telepath.  Work it out." <*>

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: sandhyaDate: 2005-05-16 07:54:20