Re: Permissions not removed when group dropped

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Harris, Richard" <Richard_Harris(at)adp(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Permissions not removed when group dropped
Date: 2005-05-14 05:30:53
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 10:48:13PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl> writes:
> > We are working on it, and hopefully in 8.1 you will be told where the
> > user/group is referenced if you try to drop it. Automatically deleting
> > the references from all ACLs has not been discussed but it's a possible
> > outcome of the implementation.
>
> [ raised eyebrow... ] You expect to be able to tell anything about the
> internals of a different database? Much less do anything to it?

No, that's why I haven't mentioned it :-) I know I can't do anything
about objects in other databases. But I have wondered if we could
implement CASCADE behavior for an object whose dependencies are only
local to the current database (where CASCADE actually mean delete
references in ACLs, and reject the action altogether if there is an
ownership reference. And of course, if the object is a tablespace,
reject as well.)

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"La persona que no quería pecar / estaba obligada a sentarse