BUG #1669: reinstallation from scratch impossible

From: "Jacques CULOT" <jacques(dot)culot(at)skynet(dot)be>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1669: reinstallation from scratch impossible
Date: 2005-05-13 08:30:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      1669
Logged by:          Jacques CULOT
Email address:      jacques(dot)culot(at)skynet(dot)be
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.2
Operating system:   Windows 2000 pro
Details:

This is a possible case of bug in the installation process.

Yesterday I tried to install PostgreSQL 8.0.2 for Windows. During the
process of installation I didn't pay immediatelly attention to the process
of password installation because this machine is only accessible by me. I
decided to skip the password and a default one was generated. At this point
I considered it was a bad idea to use the default one (too complicated to
remember) and I decided to go backwards to install my own password. So I
clicked on the "back" button and entered a personnal password twice and
proceeded to "next". At this point the installation blocked because of the
password. So I decided to abort this installation and redo it from scratch.
But it doesn't work anymore: the system has the default password  in memory
(and I don't know it) so any attempt to re-install the database package
fails. I do not see anywhere what to do to erase the "scrapies" remaining on
the hard disk.

Thank you for solving this newbie problem in installation.

Jacques CULOT

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2005-05-13 13:43:57