Re: Configing 8 gig box.

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Joel Fradkin <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Perform <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Configing 8 gig box.
Date: 2005-05-10 21:45:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 04:55:53PM -0400, Joel Fradkin wrote:
> Seems to be only using like 360 meg out of 7 gig free (odd thing is I did
> see some used swap 4k out of 1.9) with a bunch of users (this may be normal,
> but it is not going overly fast so thought I would ask).

This is perfectly normal. Each postgresql backend will only report
memory usage roughly equal to shared_buffers plus the size of the code
(16M or so?). If it's in the middle of a sort or vacuum, it will use
more memory.

It's not uncommon for modern OS's to swap out stuff that's not being
used. They would rather have the memory available for disk caching,
which is normally a good trade-off.

For reference, on a 4G box running FreeBSD, there's currently 18M of
swap used. Postgresql processes typically show 53M of total VM, with
~22M resident. This is with shared buffers of 2000.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org