Deep integration of PostgreSQL with Apache

From: Robin Boerdijk <robin_boerdijk(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Deep integration of PostgreSQL with Apache
Date: 2005-05-03 12:53:51
Lists: pgsql-general
Hi,

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering if
there have been any efforts in the past to provide a deep integration
of PostgreSQL with Apache. What I mean by deep integration is that the
PostgreSQL server logic runs inside the Apache server processes, rather
than separate processes. In particular, the postmaster server logic
would run inside the Apache master process and the postgres server
logic would run inside Apache child processes.

The main advantage of this approach would be that it avoids the
Apache/PostgreSQL context switch when executing SQL requests from the
web server. It looks like the Apache server and PostgreSQL server
architectures are quite similar to make this feasible. Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Robin Boerdijk