Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove replicaiton FAQ item.

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove replicaiton FAQ item.
Date: 2005-04-30 03:52:26
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-docs
OK, updated:

    <P>Though "replication" is a single term, there are several technologies
    for doing replication, with advantages and disadvantages for each.</P>

    <P>Master/slave replication allows a single master to receive read/write
    queries, while slaves can only accept read/<SMALL>SELECT</SMALL> queries.
    The most popular freely available master-slave PostgreSQL replication
    solution is <A href="http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/slony1/projdisplay$
    Slony-I</A>.</P>

    <P>Multi-master replication allows read/write queries to be sent to
    multiple replicated computers.  This capability also has a severe
    impact on performance due to the need to synchronize changes between
    servers.  <A href="http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgcluster/">Pgcluster</a>
    is the most popular such solution freely available for PostgreSQL.</P>

    <P>There are also commercial and hardware-based replication solutions
    available supporting a variety of replication models.</P>