Re: Question about update syntaxt

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Michael M Friedel <mfl(at)betty-tv(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question about update syntaxt
Date: 2005-04-30 03:51:37
Lists: pgsql-sql
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Michael M Friedel wrote:

> I am trying to use an application (Through ODBC) that uses the
> following update syntax
>
> UPDATE MyTable SET MyTable.id=2 WHERE id=1
>
> unfortunatly I get an error message
>
> ERROR:  column "mytable" of relation "mytable" does not exist
>
> Question is, is ther something I can configure that will make
> Postgresql accept these kind of statments ?

I don't believe there's a way to make the server itself accept that. IIRC,
past discussions usually have bogged down into questions of whether to
support the syntax since it doesn't appear to be valid SQL and if so what
semantics to give cases where the tablename doesn't match. I'm not sure if
there's any way to get the ODBC driver to do something about it, however.