Re: Postges 8.0.2 Online backup Errors!

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pallav Kalva <pkalva(at)deg(dot)cc>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postges 8.0.2 Online backup Errors!
Date: 2005-04-29 14:33:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

Pallav Kalva wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I got this error while doing my online backups on the new postgres
> 8.0.2. I follow the same procedure as mentioned in the docs and the way
> i do in brief is
>
> 1) Put the database in backup mode with pg_start_backup
> 2) copy data cluster, I use tablespaces and my tables and indexes are in
> different partition so i copy them also here using tar and gzip
> 3) And put the database back in normal mode with pg_stop_backup
> 4) copy archive log directory with tar and gzip.
>
> and today I go this error , i am not sure if this is normal or is
> this something to worry about ? does anybody experienced anything like
> this before ?
>
> ERROR Durring Backup
> bash-2.05b$ ./backup.sh b
> 17/8E3DA9F0
> tar: tabledata/165899758/165958430: file changed as we read it
> 17/8E8CB0A8
> bash-2.05b$

This is expected. Tar is backing up a changing file system but the
WAL logging will bring the system back to a consistent state. However,
read the current version of the docs online because you have to be sure
you have the WAL files that were active during the backup to use the tar
file, and those files might still be sitting in pg_xlog and not archived
at the time the tar finishes.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us