Re: temp tables ORACLE/PGSQL

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: temp tables ORACLE/PGSQL
Date: 2005-04-28 18:40:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 01:14:58PM -0500, Tony Caduto wrote:
> This is not entirely correct. We use temp tables all the time in PLpgsql
> functions and never have to use
> execute. We have found that you have to use EXECUTE only in certain
> circumstances.
>
> we use this in all our functions that use temp tables, and we use PG
> Lightning Admin, which refreshes the
> connection each time you run a query which gets around a lot of issues with
> temp tables.

I'm assuming that by "refresh" you mean that you close the connection
to the database and create a new one for every query?

If you do that each time you run a query, doesn't that make temporary
tables pretty much worthless for anything other than PL scratch space?

And it's obviously a ludicrous thing to do in almost all production
cases, so if you're using lightning admin to prototype queries for
production use aren't you going to get burned by the entirely
different behaviour?

Cheers,
Steve