Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1
Date: 2005-04-28 14:35:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:02:40 -0400,
Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Well the good news is that there have been almost no Win32 problems, but
> the other good news is that we are getting a lot of powerful features
> for 8.1 already:

You forgot to list the indexed aggregate feature for max and min. While
this isn't that important for experienced postgres users, it is a gotcha
for new users. Between this, integrated autovacuum and the cross type
index changes in 8.0 we have covered almost all of the newbie gotchas.
This should make Postgres effectively equivalent in difficulty with
getting started for new users as MySQL. That could significantly
boost usage for low end use once word gets out.