Re: Official ODBC announcement

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Official ODBC announcement
Date: 2005-04-28 05:20:43
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >>This is something that we are still trying to figure out.
> >

> > Nothing to figure out. You have to get signed contracts giving you
> > rights to the code changes.
>
> Possibly but that does not require the assignment of the ownership to
> the code in anyway. Nor would we request that someone sign over
> ownership of contributed work.
>
> Which really isn't that different than what people do everyday
> with PostgreSQL. When I submit something to core I am granting
> rights to core to use the submitted code, not only that I am giving the
> ability for others to close source the work.

The difference is that the user is using a GPL version that they can not
relicense as non-GPL, while they are contributing back to a company that
can relicense it as non-GPL (think MySQL). The fundamental issue is
that the user does not have the same licensing rights as the company.
In fact the company _owns_ rights to the code not given to users, so
contributions have to be owned by the company too.

You have get approval from the users to release their changes under a
different license than the user who is using the software.

In the PostgreSQL case, the users and the community have the same rights
to the code --- they are equals, which is not the case in your proposal.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us