Re: restarting after power outage

From: "Uwe C(dot) Schroeder" <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com>
To: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: restarting after power outage
Date: 2005-04-27 22:45:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 15:17, Doug McNaught wrote:
> "Uwe C. Schroeder" <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com> writes:
> > Is this just me or did anyone actually think about adding a UPS to
> > the machine and monitor it with NUT ? That way the machine would
> > shut down properly, making the whole stale pid-file issue
> > irrelevant.
>
> UPSs fail. People kick out power cords. It's good to be able to deal
> with it.
>
> -Doug

You're right about that. Question is how often does this happen to rectify
some automated procedure. In case of a hard shutdown there are a whole bunch
of things that could potentially go wrong on startup (like fsck failing
etc.). So checking up on the machine might be a good idea anyways.
I for my part locked the server room - works every time when the cleaning crew
comes into the office looking for an outlet to plug the vacuum in. All they
take out now is the faxmachine :-)

UC

--
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC 2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone: +1 650 872 2425 San Bruno, CA 94066