Re: Database Corruption, Tables, Databases missing

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Alan Donald <critirc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Corruption, Tables, Databases missing
Date: 2005-04-24 13:30:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 03:43:20PM +0600, Alan Donald wrote:

> I have a few databases running on a postgres database server.
>
> Everything was working fine and then yesterday when I logged in, there
> were a few databases that are missing. These tables cannot be seen in
> the pg_database table. Also I cannot see these tables via pg_admin and
> understandable so.

Are you doing regular database-wide vacuums? What's the result of
the following query?

SELECT datname, age(datvacuumxid), age(datfrozenxid) FROM pg_database

> Please tell me what the issue is, why it is happening and how I can I
> restore the database.

Without more information it's hard to say, but you might have
encountered transaction ID wraparound; the above query should answer
that question. See the "Routine Database Maintenance Tasks" chapter
in the documentation for more info.

Is it possible that the databases were dropped?

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/