Re: VACUUM VERBOSE FSM info

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: VACUUM VERBOSE FSM info
Date: 2005-04-23 22:08:35
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 05:16:09PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Well, the number you highlighted might not equal the number on the next
> line if you don't have enough entries to store all the free space, e.g.:
>
> INFO: free space map contains information about:
> 49 relations, limit 1000 relations
> 14024 pages with free space, 18000 pages (with overhead)
> 19300 pages required to track all freespace, limit 18000 pages (171 kB)

Huh, so there are three numbers: the 14024 which is "pages with free
space", the 19300 "required to track all free space" and 18000 which is
the limit.

What goes in the remaining 5276 (19300-14024) page entries anyway?

> > Also, non-main messages should end with a period according to message
> > style guidelines.
>
> Uh, I am confused on that. The docs say:
>
> Primary error messages: Do not capitalize the first letter. Do not end a
> message with a period. Do not even think about ending a message with an
> exclamation point.
>
> Detail and hint messages: Use complete sentences, and end each with a
> period. Capitalize the first word of sentences.
>
> Should the "memory used" line be a hint?

I think all lines in the INFO message are considered "detail" messages.
So everything should end with a period, or the whole thing be made a
complete sentence. I'm not sure how to do that.

"Et put se mouve" (Galileo Galilei)