Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!!

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Held <dave(dot)held(at)arrayservicesgrp(dot)com>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!!
Date: 2005-04-23 02:21:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 11:58:44AM +1000, Neil Conway wrote:
> Dave Held wrote:
> >Consider inline functions.  In C, you have to implement them as
> >macros
>
> No -- inline functions are in C99, and of course there have been GCC
> extensions with similar (but not identical) semantics for many years.

We have plenty of very ugly macros anyway.  See fastgetattr(),
HeapKeyTest(), HeapTupleSatisfies(), HeapTupleHeaderSetXmax and friends,
Assert() and friends.

I'm not saying that we could get rid of them with C++ ... just that we
have ugly macros for which type checking seems to be ... primitive.

Anyway I think the prize for weird strangeness in macro usage would go
to PG_TRY and friends.

"Industry suffers from the managerial dogma that for the sake of stability
and continuity, the company should be independent of the competence of
individual employees."                                      (E. Dijkstra)