Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Joel Fradkin <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
Cc: 'John A Meinel' <john(at)arbash-meinel(dot)com>, 'Postgresql Performance' <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon
Date: 2005-04-23 02:01:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hrm... I was about to suggest that for timing just the query (and not
output/data transfer time) using explain analyze, but then I remembered
that explain analyze can incur some non-trivial overhead with the timing
calls. Is there a way to run the query but have psql ignore the output?
If so, you could use \timing.

In any case, it's not valid to use pgadmin to time things.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org