Re: Bitmap scans vs. the statistics views

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bitmap scans vs. the statistics views
Date: 2005-04-22 18:23:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I would like to know if bitmap scans are being used on a table. I think
it's worth adding to the stats views, though I'm not sure on the best
way. For example, this means that a query on one table can now scan
multiple indexes, but it doesn't seem right to lump that in with
'traditional' index scans. An extreme view would be to add new bitmap
scan columns to pg_stat(io)_(tables|indexes), but that might be
overkill.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org