Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents
Date: 2005-04-22 16:54:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> All due respect but perhaps it is worth considering the issue as a total
> community versus just how it affects you.

Note that I don't necessarily agree with Bruce about how "high profile"
this is ...

But, as a community it doesn't affect us either, since we don't include
patent'd software, and if we are made aware of a patent related issue, we
work to remove it

Whereas, from a "business community" standpoint, there it affects, but not
from the "OSS PostgreSQL Community" side ... the only way it truly affects
"the community" is if someone like SRA wanted to release patent'd code
into our core code base, and I can't see them doing that without a
suitabily written 'right to use' attached to it that would be agreeable to
the community as a whole (including those other businesses doing their own
bundles), or else it wouldn't be included ...

Unless I'm missing something?

----